Louisville offers tax preparation assistance for residents
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Mayor Craig Greenberg announced on Tuesday the city will offer free state and federal tax preparation assistance for eligible residents.
The assistance will be offered by the Louisville Asset Building Coalition’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, otherwise known as VITA. It has IRS-certified volunteers that will be at 11 spots around the city. Residents who earned less than $66,000 in 2022 are eligible.
These volunteers will help determine whether individuals are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is a refundable tax credit for individuals or families with low or middle income. This tax credit is based on the age of household members, the number of household members and income. Households who earn up to $57,400 could be eligible.
“For many working families, free help with taxes and guidance in qualifying for the EITC can be a game-changer,” Greenberg said in a press release. “That’s money that could be used to start a savings account, buy a car, get braces for a child, pay books and college tuition, or start a college fund for their children.”
VITA has helped more than 135,500 Louisville tax filers since 2001, according to a press release.
Tax filing season has begun and ends April 18. Several of the VITA sites can help individuals file taxes in-person by appointment only. Most sites also offer free tax filing through drop-off services.
The VITA free tax preparation sites are located at:
- Americana Community Center, 4801 Southside Dr.
- Edison Center, 701 W Ormsby Ave., Ste 201
- Goodwill Resource Center, 909 E. Broadway
- Louisville Urban League, 1535 W. Broadway
- Oldham County LaGrange Library, 308 Yager, LaGrange
- Portland Promise Center, 1831 Baird St.
- NABA/Shively City Hall, 3920 Dixie Hwy.
- Vincent de Paul Family Success Center, 1029 S Preston Hwy.
- Sun Valley Community Center, 6505 Bethany Ln.
- United Crescent Hill Ministries, 150 State St.
- Wesley House Community Services, 5114 Preston Hwy.
Residents can schedule an appointment by calling 502-305-0005 or visiting https://louisvillekyvita.cascheduler.com.
In order to help determine whether residents meet the criteria for the EITC, the following items should be brought to the appointment:
- Picture ID and Social Security cards for everyone listed on the return
- Copy of 2021 tax return with all attachments and schedules
- W-2s and 1099s from employers
- Other 1099s for interest, dividends, state tax refund or other income
- Form 1099-G for any unemployment compensation received during the year
- 1095-A for health insurance
- 1098 for education credit, plus a detailed financial statement from the school
- Bank account number and routing number for direct deposit as well as savings account number (if applicable)
- For those who don’t have a bank account, volunteers can help open a Bank On certified account
- Child care information, including Provider ID and actual amounts paid
- Summarized list of other income/expenses for those who itemize or are self-employed
- Additional tax information that may be required
- Masks are required at all VITA sites