Income tax refund failed as PAN name and bank account name are different – Taxation – Trading Q&A by Zerodha

Hi All,

My income tax refund has failed. I have received an email as such. The issue is that my bank account name is under aadhar which has a middle name while the pan card name has initial and the ITD has no middle name.

Should I raise refund re-issue request or should I change my name first with NSDL/UTISL and then request a refund issue request ?

Hello @raoawesome ,

Okay simple solution is that you should update your pan name as per your correct document as well as bank account. Then after rectifying all this you should proceed for re-issue of refund. It will be convenient for now and then.

Even my family member got it.

Login to IT portal and go to bank accounts. Click re-validate Bank a.c and it will take some hours or a day.

This is some kind of funny issue, dont go break your head changing name unnecessarily.
In the first failure, it was said PAN not linked to Bank a/c and same a/c has both PAN/Adhar linked. Last years refund was also rec’d properly.

Then it will take a week, before the re-issue will even allow you to place a request. Usually there is one re-issue attempt automatically.

Contact Income Tax Helpline and tell your issue to them. Then do as they say.

How long does this take , actually my bank was already showing pre validated

it took a day for that persons re-validation. After that, still waiting for re-issue to open up.
Enable EVC and nominate for refund

Earlier it was only validated. After revalidation, there are 3 green ticks for validation, mobile and email plus EVC enabled. This seemed to do the work.

Change your name with IT Dept. Nowdays it gets done within a week if done through aadhar e-verification, and then proceed for refund reissue.