Avondale offers limited, free tax preparation help | News
The city of Avondale’s Neighborhood & Family Services has partnered with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and Turn A New Leaf to offer free tax preparation services to benefit individuals and families with low to moderate income.
A New Leaf’s VITA program offers free tax assistance to households that make $57,000 or less for the taxes to be prepared at the sites. Services focus on community members with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
VITA sites not only offer free tax preparation, they also help taxpayers apply for benefits they may not be aware of, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. VITA will be offered as a drop-off service at two Avondale locations. This Tax Preparation assistance is available through April 15 in the following locations:
• Walk-in services: Thursdays
4 to 6 p.m. at the Family Welcome Center, 1642 S. 107th Avenue.
• By appointment only: Tuesdays
2 to 4 p.m. at the Avondale Resource Center, 995 E. Riley Drive.
• By appointment only: Saturdays
8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Avondale Resource Center, 995 E. Riley Drive.
VITA site visitors should bring the following items with them:
• For married filing joint returns, both taxpayer and spouse must be present to sign the tax returns before it is electronically filed.
• Proof of photo identifications (need taxpayer and spouse for married filing joint returns).
• Social Security cards or ITIN and birthdates for everyone on the tax return.
• A copy of last year’s tax return.
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN.
• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, SSA-1099, 1099-Misc) from all employers.
• Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099-INT, 1099-DIV).
• Information for all other income (Pensions Form 1099-R, Social Security Statement Form 1099-SSA, Sale of stocks & bonds Form 1099-B).
• Documents for medical deductions, property taxes paid, mortgage interest, auto registration, charity contributions — all added up individually.
• Form 1098-T from educational institution to claim education credits.
• Amount paid to day care provider, their tax ID number and address.
• Forms 1095-A (Healthcare Marketplace), 1095-B or 1095-C.
• Unmasked copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable.
• Proof of bank routing and account number.
For more information, call 623-333-2703. COVID-19 precautions and social distancing measures will be in place.